This year, all YAG lodging, the square dance, bonfires, and the majority of the Saturday activities will be at Higher Ground Retreat Center in West Harrison, Indiana, which is located about 35 minutes west of St. Gertrude’s.
The dorm building we have booked is set up to accommodate men and women in two separate wings, complete with their own bathrooms and showers. Each wing is subdivided into several smaller rooms with 6 to 8 bunk beds in each and one larger room with more beds.
If anyone of the opposite sex is found in the wrong wing at any time, he or she will be asked to get an Uber and leave immediately. Offenders likely will be barred from future YAG attendance.
Higher Ground has a campus curfew of midnight, so by that time (or preferably before) attendees are expected to be in their sleeping quarters. PLEASE be considerate – if you plan to be up half the night talking and laughing, select one of the smaller rooms for yourself and your close friends and let the rest of us sleep in peace.
Check-in at Higher Ground is technically at 3 pm on Friday, and check-out is at 11 am Sunday.
The YAG itself will start at St. Gertrude’s at 5 pm as usual with Mass and dinner.
Higher Ground Campus Rules & Regulations
- Check-In: 3 pm
- Check-Out: 11 am
- Campground quiet time: Midnight – 6 am.
- We do not provide swimming pool towels. Please do not remove bath towels from any place on the campus to take to the pool.
- Candles and burning incense are prohibited in any and all buildings.
- Please drive only on the roads.
- Speed limit: 15 mph
- No parking on grass.
- No cooking of any type allowed in any buildings.
- Appropriate attire is to be worn at all times (shirts must be worn unless in the pool area).
- Please do not nail, pin, staple, tape, glue, or tack anything to the walls. “Plastic Tac” is acceptable.
- You are responsible for any damage that occurs during your stay.
- NO PETS allowed anywhere on campus.
- NO ALCOHOL allowed anywhere on campus.
- NO SMOKING allowed EXCEPT in the two designated smoking areas: 1) Picnic table behind the barn and 2) Picnic table behind the Life Center. A $100 fine will be assessed if smoking occurs in undesignated areas.
When planning flights, keep in mind that the airport is about an hour’s drive south of the church. Arriving early on Friday is not a problem; there will be people setting up in Helfta Hall and any help is appreciated!
DO NOT count on being able to get rides from locals to and from the airport. Uber is available in the Cincinnati area and once you get to SGG you will probably be able to carpool to and from the retreat center.
We coordinate pickup and drop-off at the Cincinnati-Covington (CVG) airport as much as is possible, but our drivers are all volunteers so this service is entirely dependent upon their generosity and free time. Any pickups will be at the Level 2 Baggage Claim but MUST be pre-arranged.
Once you arrive at St. Gertrude’s, we will be arranging carpooling to and from Higher Ground.